- We will use em0 network interface for the VMs and em1 to manage the software.
- We are going to install Microsoft Windows 10 Proin this Demo
- VirtIO Drivers .iso image can be download here: https://fedorapeople.org/
- Shared DataDir: /vms by default
- Storage Dir: /data2 in our example
Deploy Virtual Machine (Windows)
- BVCP Installed into FreeBSD Box.
- You have shell and root access to the box (we use SSH) to demonstrate.
- You have logged in into the webinterface.
1) Prepare the environment
- We setup em1 interface when installing FreeBSD Host to access the box
- We let the VMs go throught the em0 interface because of a possible network lag (when the first bridge attached the OS will reset the em0)
- We Downloaded virtio and windows ISO images into the Shared DataDir (/vms/iso_images) by issuing command fetch https://[url].iso
- We Created the first Storage in the webinterface and named Data2 Storage
- We Created the first Virtual Network in the webinterface and selected the em0 NIC as gateway to bound
2) Create and Configure the Virtual Machine
- Create new virtual machine, fill the prefix and the descriptive name
- Select the virtual machine to enter configration section
- Display, Number of Processor Cores, Sockets, RAM, Architecture, Operating System are required and must be configured
- Select Create (ISO) CD-ROM then select Windows .iso image that you downloaded already, and do it again with virtio-drivers.iso
- Create Virtual Disk for the System, then attach the virtual disk and use VirtIO Driver
- Create Network interface, the legacy Intel e1000 reported as unsafe and Windows instances freezes when using it, select VirtIO driver
- The network interfaces are created as disabled by default due reason of accidentally shutdown the network, enable it
3) Install Windows
- Start the VM and press any key for Windows Setup Bootup
- Navigate through basic steps until that Windows wants to see harddrives but nothing found, click on the load drivers and select: E:\viostor\w10\amd64, then you can see the harddrive.
- Continue Windows Installation
- Meanwhile you can disable option: [Wait for console]
- Skip networking and setting up Microsoft account because the Windows might does not detect your network card
- Let the Windows setup finish the task completely, then login and bring up the device manager, and select your virtio (E:) drive and install all missing drivers.